National Shoe Fitting Week* begins on March 19th, but when was the last time you had your feet measured?
For many of us it was probably when we were children – but did you know that each of our Hotter stores can measure your feet and then fit our shoes so you can enjoy the perfect fit – and truly find shoes to fall in love with.
Our Technical Manager Andy Whittle is in charge of the teams who ensure that our footwear is millimetre perfect. They work with an organisation called SATRA, world leading technical experts in footwear design, testing and production, so you can rest assured that our shoes will measure up correctly.[separator type=”thin”]
We asked Andy for his top tips for getting a proper shoe fit – but why not visit a Hotter store to discover what’s perfect for you.
Andy’s top ten tips:
- Most of us have one foot that is larger than the other, so fit your shoe to your larger foot.
- Don’t select shoes by the size marked inside the shoe but by how the shoe fits your foot.
- Try to select a shoe that is shaped like your foot.
- During the fitting process, make sure there is enough space (at least 1cm) for your longest toe at the end of each shoe when you are standing up.
- Make sure the ball of your foot fits comfortably into the widest part of the shoe.
- Don’t buy shoes that feel too tight and expect them to stretch to fit – shoes should be comfortable right out of the box!
- The size of your feet changes as you grow older so visit one of our stores to have your feet measured.
- Your heel should fit comfortably in the shoe with a minimum amount of slipping – the shoes should not ride up and down on your heel when you walk.
- Walk in the shoes to make sure they fit and feel right.
- The upper part of the shoes should be made of a soft, flexible material to match the shape of your foot. Shoes made of leather can reduce the possibility of skin irritations. Soles should provide solid footing and not be slippery. Thick soles cushion your feet when walking on hard surfaces. Low-heeled shoes are more comfortable, safer, and less damaging than high-heeled shoes.
Over 100 Hotter shoes are approved by the Healthy Footwear Guide. And if you’d like to find out more about the Healthy Footwear Guide and its 11 point testing criteria then you find all the details you need in our post here.
Use your postcode to discover your nearest Hotter store when you click on this link. But don’t forget, if you can’t visit a Hotter store, we have a team of Hotter experts called Personal Shoppers who know our shoes inside out. Call them for free on 0800 083 3083 and they will do their very best to help you find shoes to fall in love. And you can rest assured that every pair of Hotter Shoes is backed by our Happy Guarantee.[separator type=”thin”]
*Shoe Fitting Week is organised by The Society of Shoe Fitters.
Thanks for the mention of orthotics in your information, however, it would be really helpful if you could suggest some styles that would be suitable to use with orthotic insoles. I need to wear the highest type that are supplied by the hospital and so find it difficult to choose a shoe from the page of your brochure, I do not live anywhere near a supplier which would enable me to try the shoes on.
I love hoter shoes, they are so very comfortable and stylish great colours too, keep them coming
All the lace-up shoes I have bought from you were very comfortable. Slip-on shoes sometimes not so sure about the fitting. as I have what one shop assistant described as “a very fleshy foot”. The very best slip-on I bought from you has been Dolce. I have a pair of these in three different colours – but you have stopped making them!
Extending to size 12 would help others
Very nice shoes!
Hi Jacqueline, we’d really like to put you in touch with our team of Personal Shoppers who will be able to help further. You can contact them on 0800 083 3083.
Please think about opening a shop in Weston Super Mare, we desperately need a good shoe shop here, I have to wait until visiting my son in Peterborough before being near enough to a Hotter shop, I won’t get shoes from any other shoe shop.
Hi! We’ll pass your feedback onto our retail team and will keep you updated with the latest store news on our Facebook page and blog.