Fish Tacos with Spicy Salsa
To celebrate the launch of our h92 collection, our lightest ever shoes, we challenged blogger, writer, recipe developer and taster, Jo Brigdale to create a light, tasty, menu. In this post, Jo shares a step by step mouth-watering guide for fish tacos with spicy salsa, the perfect Spring starter. Come back soon to discover the main and light, fluffy desert.
Are you fed up of this cold wet weather that we have been having recently? I am bringing the summer vibes in food form with these fish tacos with spicy salsa which have come straight from Mexico and are guaranteed to bring some Mexican heat into your kitchen! They are really simple to make and are great to serve as a starter for a dinner party or you can double or triple the recipe and share them with lots of friends for an informal summer lunch.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the salsa
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 average sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded (optional), finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
For the tacos
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 400g firm white fish (I used cod loins), skinned and boneless, chopped into chunks
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- ½ a head of iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 4 tortilla shells (I used the boat shape ones as they stand up easier)
- Small bunch of coriander, finely chopped to serve
- Extra limes, cut into wedges to serve
- Make the salsa. Put all the ingredients into a bowl. Stir well and set aside to allow all the flavours to develop while you make the tacos.
- In another bowl, put in the plain flour, cumin, coriander along with the salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and drop in the chunks of fish. Coat well with the flour.
- Heat up the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Dust off the excess flour off the fish and fry in small batches until golden brown. This will take about one to two minutes depending on the size of your fish chunks.
- Drain the fish off excess oil on kitchen paper.
- Put the shredded lettuce into the tortilla shells then top with the fish chunks and salsa. Finish the dish with more chopped coriander and lime wedges to serve.
Jo Brigdale, from blog www.joskitchen.co.uk, is a freelance food writer, recipe developer and tester, social media consultant and professional blogger. She has a passion for making and eating simple and easy food that fits into a busy lifestyle. When she’s not in the kitchen she’s a busy mum to sons Thomas and Daniel and also runs parenting blog www.josnursery.co.uk.
Discover more about our lightest ever shoes – h92 collection