The Healthy Footwear Guide is a collaboration between UK footwear brands and foot health professionals. The aim of the group is to help people make healthy choices when buying footwear and to encourage shoemakers to consider the health of their customers’ feet when designing their products.
According to Dr Mike Curran, Ph.D, MBA, MPhil, Chair of the Healthy Footwear Guide and Associate Professor Podiatry, University of Northampton: “Feet are particularly vulnerable and the HFG specifically seeks to identify everyday footwear which has the potential to fit well and to provide a comfortable and secure environment. To qualify as ‘healthy footwear’ a shoe must meet eleven criteria including heel stability and height, softness and flexibility and adequate width and depth.
The Hotter shoes which have been approved by the Healthy Footwear Guide have all successfully passed our 11 point assessment; we would class them as ‘healthy footwear’ which should provide great comfort and wear qualities if the fit of the shoe is good. They offer adjustability and come with some half size and width options, which teamed with great advice and support from Hotter Personal Shoppers, will help wearers find the fit that is perfect for them.
A selection of the Hotter ladies shoes which have been approved by the Healthy Footwear Guide.
What are the Healthy Footwear Guidelines?
Shoes that are approved by the Healthy Footwear Guide must pass all the following criteria:
- Toe box allows normal foot function for the wearer
- The width and depth must be adequate for the individual’s foot function
- The sole encourages the foot to function normally
- The upper and lining are soft and flexible
- The heel is stable and is approximately 25mm
- The ‘in shoe’ climate promotes a healthy environment for the foot
- The shoe provides reasonable protection
- The shoe retains its fitness of purpose for a reasonable period of time
- The shoe must not noticeably slip on the foot
- Product advice and support must be provided
- The grip of the sole must meet industry standards
A selection of the Hotter men’s shoes which have been approved by the Healthy Footwear Guide.
Don’t forget … Good footwear can help with a range of foot problems including bunions, corns and callus, nail and skin problems and plantar fasciitis, and it’s important to wear the correct footwear if you have a range of conditions including arthritis and diabetes. Always consult a doctor or podiatrist for help with these conditions.
Visit one of our 77 UK Hotter stores, or call our free Personal Shopper service on 0800 083 3083, for support and advice about our full Hotter collection.Shop Now